This weekend sees Vintage @ LS28, which promises to be a fabulous vintage fair from Rose & Brown Vintage at Sunny Banks Mills at Farsley.
It all takes place in The Old Woollen, an industrial hall built in 1829, out of use from the 1950s – an atmospheric space, as these behind the scenes snaps of mine show.
“This is the next generation of vintage fairs,” says Caroline Brown, of Rose & Brown Vintage. “We’re catering for guys as well as gals, we’re using a really cool setting and we’re creating a laid-back vibe with a DJ playing soul, funk and indie on vinyl.”
The Vintage @ LS28 event has a workshop ‘Using Vintage Clothing to Reflect 2019 Trends’ on Saturday from 2-3pm, and on Sunday from 2-3pm it’s ‘Vintage Garment Repairs and Cleaning’. These are run by Frances Lawrence, who is one half of vintage traders Hannah and Frances Jane.
The models here, incidentally, are Rose Muirhead, an actor, writer and film-maker, currently working on her own film with awarding-winning Los Angeles director Dustin Murphy, and Rupert Hughes, who plays guitar and sings with his band The Often Herd, which makes bluegrass and folk music. Hair and make-up was by Lauren Rippin, from Leeds, who works on weddings, commercial, TV and editorial photo-shoots. With Anna Mewes, she also runs beauty and styling workshops at Bettys in Harrogate. There’s one coming up on July 14, so look out for that.
“We’re looking to bring something extra to the mix, rather than rail upon rail of dresses and tables full of homewares,” says Caroline. “This event is for people who love to spend the weekend rummaging through books or records, or hunting out quality vintage fashion or jewellery from every era. The fashion traders have been selected to provide a proper cross section of the best fashion pieces, including serious bargains, from the 1980s all the way back to the 1920s.”
• Vintage @ LS28 opening times are Saturday June 1 and Sunday June 2, 2019, 10.30am-4pm. Check out www.roseandbrownvinage.co.uk
• Sunny Bank Mills is at www.sunnybankmills.co.uk. The archive is open the first Wednesday of every month 10am-12noon. . Free parking available, disabled access, dog friendly, £2 entry, under 16s free. See www.roseandbrownvintage.co.uk or contact 07985 181120.
• Rose Muirhead is on Instagram @rosemuirhead
• Rupert Hughes and his band The Often Herd can be heard on theoftenherd.bandcamp.com/
• Lauren Rippin is at Laurenrippin.co.uk and Instagram @facesbylaurenrippin