Love Bettys? Love fashion? Then the opening event of the upcoming York Fashion Week is on the Yorkshire style menu for you.
York Fashion Week will be taking place from April 16 to 22 (details and links at the bottom of post). It’s a fashion fiesta that has grown considerably since in launched in 2011, and it’s all run by Fashion City York, an initiative founded in 2011 to promote the city’s designers, stylists, photographers, filmmakers, artists and both independent and High Street shops. There are catwalks and workshops and talks galore, for all ages.
The opening event will takes place at the Belmont Room at Bettys York, when Antonia Houston Couture, with Meiji and Knot and Bloom, launch the Yorkshire Dandy collection.
Later in the week, silk printers extraordinaire Ruth Gibbs and Natalie Herbert of Meiji Designs offer a Silk Scarf Devore Workshop. They set up Meiji after graduating from the University of Huddersfield in 2013 and their beautiful painterly designs are used to create kimonos and lovely scarves. I’ve seen pictures of bridesmaids wearing them and they look amazing.
There’s an educational and historical aspect to York Fashion Week too (well, it IS York). York Castle Museum has three events, Fill Your Boots – Exploring the Women’s Shoe Collection through 300 years of footwear, with by Helen Thornton, and the wonderfully named Unmentionables: A Brief History of Underwear with Dr Faye Prior. There’s also Head to Toe: Muddle and Match Dress-up Book on all week, following clues in the galleries to build a dress-up book.
Rose & Flo Millinery has an evening of Hat Couture at Grays Court Hotel, York. Local lifestyle and fashion blogger Ciandra Birnbaum of LoveCiandra will be modelling and blogging all week. And the Fashion Society of the University of York, is presenting an international fashion show at Carluccio’s, St Helen’s Square, with student models and designers collaborating to promote culture and diversity in fashion.
Oh, and don’t forget York Festival of Vintage, April 21-22, link in listings below.
With thanks to:
Olivia Brabbs Photography https://www.oliviabrabbs.co.uk/
YORK FASHION WEEK HIGHLIGHTS
April 16-22, 2018: York Fashion Week – see http://www.yorkfashionweek.co.uk/ for full programme.
April 16 – Antonia Houston Couture, with Meiji and Knot and Bloom, launches York Fashion Week with her Yorkshire Dandy collection in the Belmont Room at Bettys. Tickets £26.95 from Bettys on 01904 659142. www.meiji-designs.co.uk @Meiji_Designs www.oliviabrabbs.co.uk
April 17 – The film Embrace at the Cityscreen Picturehouse
– Fill Your Boots talk: Learn about historic shoes with York Castle Museum’s Helen Thornton. Visit www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk
April 19 – She Loves York fashion show at The Principal and Meet the Designer with Hope’s Nanya McIntosh, also at The Principal.
– Naked and You Clothed Me – Ann Bowes reading from the book, and a Q&A session.
Enter her life-wardrobe of seven decades, trimmed with a rich seam of spiritual and Bible-based reflections. Call into Waterstones, York.
April 20 – The Fashion Society of the University of York is presenting an international fashion show at Carluccio’s, St Helen’s Square, as student models and designers collaborate to promote culture and diversity in fashion.
– Unmentionables – A brief history of underwear – With York Castle Museum’s Dr Faye Prior. Visit www.yorkcastlemuseum.org.uk
– Hat Couture – Join Rose and Flo Millinery at Grays Court Hotel, York, in collaboration with Antonia Houston Couture, Saks Hairdressing York and Estee Lauder beauty for a fabulous show of couture hats, fashion, hair and beauty. Call Louise on 07815 796148 or Anita on 07803 174637.
April 21 – Silk Scarf Devore Workshop with Meiji Designs. No experience required. At York Explore. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
April 22 – Explore Fashion Designs – Fast forward to the year 2050 and outfits of the future. Creative event for 5-10 year olds. All materials provided. Call York Explore on 01904 552828.
– Empower your Fashion – at Hotel Indigo York – image consultant Jackie Crawford and hypnotherapist Andrea Morrison boost confidence as you learn how to dress for your colouring, body shape, lifestyle and personality. Jackie Crawford on 07494 644788.
– Create a Lookbook Workshop – For creatives and bloggers, professional designers and illustrators Buttercrumble will guide you through the process to take home your own lookbook.
– The Dressmaking Showcase at Heworth Cricket Club: An event to showcase the work of York Learning’s Dressmaking Department and raising money in memory of two class members who lost their lives to cancer last year. Tutors and York Learning staff will be on hand to answer questions about courses, and homemade cakes, tea, coffee will be available.
April 21-22, 2018: York Festival of Vintage – York Racecourse – Celebrate the Fashion, Music & Style of the 1930s-1960s with entertainment, displays, shows and live music. https://www.festivalofvintage.co.uk/